Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Where does it end?

I'm not a teacher and I'm not an economist. But I do work with teenagers and have children of my own. So I have to ask the question of where it all ends?

I mean this idea of constantly improving education and the race to keep up with every other country. I already witness with the kids I work with this desire to always be on top - always be more involved - always have one more thing to add to their college applications - and then their resumes. We're quickly transforming what should be 18 years of childhood into fast paced race to finish line. It's sad. There's a push to keep our children in school longer, start them earlier, and teach them more. But WHY?

I believe the failures of our educational system are directly linked to the failures of our politics. People are TAUGHT in this country that being an American means you're entitled to certain things. You're entitled to eat when you don't work; you're entitled buy things that you can't afford; and you're entitled to have someone else educate your children. But as watch my 4 month older utter very clearly: "Ah-goo. Ah-boo," and listen to my just-turned-two-year-old count and name her colors and point out letters that she knows, and when I listen to my three-and-half year old ask my husband, "Daddy, how was work today? Was it hard making money out there?" I KNOW that it is imperative that education starts at HOME! Are we going to take our children from the birthroom to classroom, 365 days a year, for 10 hours each day?

I don't know about you but as a CHRISTIAN I want to be primary influence in my children's lives. No educator will love my children the way I do. I want to teach my daughter's that their value is in CHRIST, not in how much information our very flawed educational system can cram into their heads.

(I promised another blog on the youth conference, and it's still coming. I'm still marinating what I learned).

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Amen, sister. I don't get it, either. Especially when it's clear that there are really no benefits to having the kids in school earlier in their lives or for longer days.

You know me. I was never a fan of homeschooling or anything like that and I worked in a public school for four years. But I am AMAZED at what the 3 and 4 year olds learn within a few hours--the stuff that took weeks for my first graders to learn. I can tell you, as a first grade teacher, A LOT of time is wasted in school. Not because teachers are lazy (some are, some aren't), but because you just can't get a whole lot done with 20 kids in a seven hour day.

Rev. David Lawrence said...

I agree with you. This idea of more, more isn't just with kids, though. American's work more hours than any other people. And for what? Materialism and success according to the world's standards has bewitched everyone.

BTW-I didn't say anything about Brandon cause he didn't do much for me. I did like the last song that he did, but... Anyway, the concert rocked!

Amanda said...

You need to post again. Hellllooo?!

Kendra_Kendle said...

Ha! I posted on your site.

It's coming. It's still ruminating.